Some people are born with innate talent, and sketching is one of them! Traditionally, sketching was a rough drawing executed either for a painting or an informal drawing. Gradually, it matured as a unique art form that holds a lot of significance. With a knack of not to do things while sketching, it is possible to shape your sketches well!
Sketching makes you visualize and slow down the thought process. While sketching, you take time to look at things, to understand and replicate them. You gain information about minute details. If you aspire to become a professional artist, it is significant for you to know about things to avoid while sketching.
Are you zealous about becoming a veteran in sketching? Do you practice day and night, follow expert advice, and watch too many videos, yet you don’t see improvement? Instead of losing confidence, let’s concentrate on things not to do while sketching?
Things to Avoid while Sketching
Let’s look at some helpful tips and things to avoid while sketching!
- Impractical Expectations: When you see great artwork, you admire it and imagine drawing something similar. Emotion is what you strive for when you start learning how to draw. It requires lots of practice and skills. That’s what it takes. The problem is that you cannot satisfy this desire right away. This eventually leads to demotivation and frustratio. You wanted a positive feeling, and you get the exact opposite of it. This is because the expectation was impractical at the start. Sketching is a skill, and it will improve day by day. You can achieve your goals by setting the right expectations and creating a plan to attain them.
- Bad Quality Material: If you wish to achieve success in your artwork, it is essential to check the quality of equipment you use. It is necessary to equip your supply with good paper quality, pencils and colours. You can check the available products and purchase them according to your requirement and budget. The correct tools and quality products will enhance the quality of your artwork.
- Alignment and Proportion: Next in the queue of not to do things while sketching is right angels.Though sketches seem like freehand art, there are a lot of intricacies involved when it comes to structuring an exact figure. An artist must be well-informed about creating the angels and alignment so that the art appears pitch-perfect and flawless. Simply scribbling over a canvas won’t fetch you much result. Perceive excellence by eyeing over beginner sketches prepared by professionals and then start evaluating their poses, angles and length.
4. Perfectionism: Being a new artist who is still exploring and expanding horizons should not try to replicate work done by a professional artist. Seeking perfection is a gradual process. You cannot be a perfectionist as you are still learning and getting to know things.if you keep a relevant mindset, you will be able to learn from your mistakes and master your skills. There is no special cure for perfectionism. But it is about setting up the right expectations and monitoring your growth.
5. Non-Uniform Practice: There will be days when you will be engrossed in sketching; follow tutorials and try to create strokes. And some days, you will be disappointed and demotivated. This irregular behaviour affects your practice. People tend to get casual about it as you get their hands on a particular technique or skill. Just a few weeks, and I will resume back to it. But when you start again, you discover you have lost all the progress, and you have to start from scratch.
Remember, “Rehearsal is vital for learning”!!
6. Don’t Doubt Yourself: It is noxious to compare yourselves with others. While watching tutorials or sketchbook tours, you start comparing artwork and feel inferior. As a result, there are chances for your spirit level to go down. Due to this reason, you should appreciate the best artist and the work they have created.
If you stop judging and doubting yourself, you will not be under stress to showcase how good you are from the rest. You can check your progress by tracking all your old sketches and analyzing your growth.
7. Commence Without An Idea: Every artwork is provoked by a thought or an inspiration. To construct a single artwork, it takes a lot of brainstorming and excellent ideas. However, some beginners commence their sketches without outline and shading knowledge. This results in unsatisfactory results, and they waste their time and efforts. One of the most important things to avoid while sketching is to develop a solid structure before carving it into impeccable sketch art.
8. Thin Shading: Running/Sloppy shading can be considered the most common mistake. Shading should be sharp in any artwork. Shading enhances your sketch and upgrades your skills as an artist.This is one of the common mistakes which most beginners make. Keeping sharp shading in your artwork will bring out the best in your art. You can consider this as one of the manageable things to avoid while sketching.
9. Innumerable Colours: The primary rule of sketching is always preferable to draw sketches in “grayscale”. It helps in getting distracted by colours. Nevertheless, you can still use one or two colours that contrast with your sketch, which helps in highlighting certain elements. You can use blue colour for links. Adding shadows to some elements can help people to understand the artwork. If you are adding shadows or colours to your sketch, make sure to use them consistently in your artwork.
10. Not Using Resources/References: One of the essential things to avoid while sketching is to think that you can draw everything by simply visualizing. You can gather a few photos or click live photos of objects if you can’t draw in person. There is a possibility that some people may abandon this fact, but if you avoid such common mistakes, you can save a lot of your time and effort from getting wasted.
Sketching is like any other skill; it looks easy from the outside but elaborates later on. If you keep the above pointers in mind by concentrating on not to do things while sketching, you can achieve excellence in the long run.
If you are a beginner and are making a lot of mistakes that we have addressed above, you can try out tutorials or videos specially designed for beginners. This will encourage you to go ahead and fix your concern areas and dilate your skill.
It is surely worth trying!!