So you have got all your supplies and inspiration to start urban sketching, but are not sure of how to start and where to get started. Don’t worry we are here to help you get on with your journey along with lots of tips and tricks. Well, if you are someone who loves journaling and documenting life then urban sketching for Beginners is a brilliant idea to start off.
One of the most challenging techniques to master for on-location sketching is “perspective”. So before venturing do keep some of these tips in mind. So friends, pinch out every drop of information you can from this post and create a magical masterpiece. Don’t forget that practice is the key to perfection! The more you practice these Mind Pausing Ideas of Urban Sketching for Beginners more you will learn and evolve. Happy Painting!
Sketching for Beginners
Well, this a great way to capture some beautiful motion. You can go to harbor nearby your town or you can get to sketch such a scene if you are on a vacation. It’s a wonderful way to relax and create your art.
We all have had the best time of our lives just roaming around in parks or having picnics with our friends and family. Children playing in the park, people having lunch or just a person playing with his/her dog is a good scene to sketch side by side try your hand for incredible nature pencil drawings. So the next time you plan to go don’t forget to carry your kit along!
This a great idea for beginners as their will be only two people to focus on. Pencils are a good idea to start if you are at beginner level as you can easily erase your mistakes. Be sure to ask for consent if the other person is ok with you drawing their sketch or not before you start.you can go dramatic and sketch some behind the scenes to make it an Innovative Dancing women Drawings and sketches idea.
(P.S – Just don’t get the couple awkward!)
The market is a good place to start off too. There will be a lot of subjects. So you need to think beforehand as to what part you want to focus on. The whole market or just a single person selling something, that’s is up to you.
(TIP- Do ask this question to yourself before you start “Am I inspired enough to sketch this? If your answer is no, then maybe you should try another time, because if you do not enjoy what you are doing then it’s useless…)
An Ancient Building
You might say, I could just take a photograph of something like this. Well, off Corse you can. You can a picture of anything! But when you will sketch, it is then that the place would be connected to your heart and soul. And will be a stunning memory to cherish forever.You can also try beautiful taj mahal drawings and sketches to expand your area.
(TIP- Try to choose a location which is quiet and secluded, because as a beginner it would help you to concentrate more on your subject.)
Finding extraordinary in the ordinary is what you should try to learn when creating art. At a location like a construction site, you can see a lot of things happening, heavy trucks and cranes moving, people moving around doing work, carrying things. So there is a lot to capture.
What a brilliant idea to utilize your waiting time right? Well, this could be an amazing way to practice capture life as it moves. You can paint a child looking out of the window at an airplane taking off or people waiting in lounge or pilots going with their luggage or when a tram on the road. There are a million ways you can portray something like this. Use your creativity to the fullest.
This a kind of idea where there a million things you could experiment with. You can choose whether you want to do a street view of colorful houses, a street with trees, people standing and listening to a street musician etc. There are endless possibilities to choose from. Just go for something that excites you the most.
Urban Sketching Techniques
- Once you have decided where to sit and sketch, try not to move from that spot. Or at the most at least mark your perspective lines or you can say the outline of your sketch. Because if you move your perspective of seeing, the location also changes.
- Try to keep your sketchbook in one position for the whole sketch, or at least till you draw the outlines. This will ensure consistency of the angles of your lines.
- For accuracy in making the angles for lines, you can use a long thin wooden skewer or anything long and thin. Just keep the skewer in the air on whatever you are drawing like a building and then keep it in the same angle on your page.
- Decide beforehand if you want to draw a broad view or a close up view of any detail.
- For beginners, the best advice would be to start with a pencil for outlining and then start with a pen and watercolors. Practice and see what works for you the best.
- You must know sketching techniques like hatching, cross-hatching, scribbling, stippling and the use of watercolors.
- Now that you know how to get started, let’s check out some location ideas for where to get started.
Urban Sketching for Beginners
Pencil Sketch – © Andrew Banks
Parc de les casernes, Girona.
By Angels Prat Valverde.
Artist Kiyohiko Azuma
Franklin Street Bridge House.
Just be true and honest towards your art, in every sense, even if you observe a banana peel near a bin or a tissue thrown away don’t ignore that. These are the things which would make your sketch more realistic.