Minions are the adorable little fictional characters made famous from the much-loved Despicable Me films and the subsequent Minions Movie. They’re well-loved for their unique language, humorous behaviours, and cute appearances. We’ve rounded up our favourite craft ideas for minion lovers that you and the kids can create at home.
Toilet Paper Roll Minions
Materials Needed: Several cardboard toilet paper rolls, yellow, blue, and white card paper, scissors, glue, and a black marker.
1. Cut the yellow card paper to size, then wrap and glue this down to cover the entire toilet paper roll.
2. Cut your blue card paper to about half the length of the roll, and then wrap and glue this down on top of the yellow – to create your minion’s overalls.
3. From your white card paper, cut out either one or two round eyes – depending on which minion you’re going to create. Glue these down.
4. Using your black marker, draw on a pair of goggles, pupils within the eyes, buttons on the overalls, and a few strands of hair – and your cardboard minion is complete!
Paper Plate Minions
Materials Needed: White paper plates, yellow and black paint, white and black card paper, scissors, and glue.
1. Paint each of your paper plates yellow, then allow to dry.
2. Using your white card paper, cut out two round eyes and glue these down.
3. Cut out a pair of goggles using your black card paper and glue this onto the plate, around the eyes.
4. Use the black paint to add a mouth, strands of spiky hair, and pupils in the eyes. Allow everything to dry, and your plate is done!
Materials Needed: PVA white glue, baking soda, yellow food colouring, contact lens solution, an empty glass jar, blue and black card paper, and a few googly eyes.
1. Follow our easy slime recipe to create your yellow slime.
2. Cut enough blue card paper to wrap around the width of the glass jar – about half of the length. Glue this down.
3. Cut a thin black strip of card paper and wrap and glue this around the top of the jar, to be your minion’s goggles.
4.Stick on either one or two googly eyes to each jar.
5. Fill the jar with your bright yellow slime – and admire your squishy masterpiece!
Minion Party Gift Bags
Materials Needed: Yellow gift bags, black, white, and grey card paper, scissors, glue, and a black marker.
1. Cut out a strip of black card paper, the horizontal width of the bag, and glue this down across it.
2. Cut out a large grey circle, and glue this in the middle of the black strip.
3. Cut out a smaller white circle, and place this in the middle of the grey circle.
4. Use the black marker to create a pupil within the eye, and some strands of hair (optional).
5. Fill your cute minion party bags and enjoy!
These hats are one of our favorite craft ideas for minion lovers – the kids will love them!
Materials Needed: Kids yellow construction hats, black ribbon, grey card paper, large googly eyes, black pipe cleaner, liquid glue, and scissors.
1. Cut to size and glue down black ribbon around the width of the construction hats.
2. Cut out one or two round grey circles from the card paper to use for the goggles – glue these onto the black ribbon.
3. Place your googly eyes within the grey circles.
4. Cut little snippets of pipe cleaner, styling them however you’d like, and glue these down to the top of the hat. Allow to dry.
5. Pop on your hat and enjoy!
Materials Needed: Yellow t-shirts, cardboard, black, white, and grey fabric paint, and paintbrushes.
1. Place a piece of cardboard within each of the t-shirts to stop paint from soaking through.
2. Paint either one or two round white eyes onto your t-shirts, and allow to dry.
3. Use your grey paint to paint an outline around the eyes, this will be the frame of your goggles.
4. Use the black paint to draw a strap to the goggles, a mouth, pupils within the eye, and any hair you wish to add.
5. Allow everything to dry, and you’re ready to rock your t-shirts!
Minion Bowling Pins
Materials Needed: 10 empty plastic bottles, yellow and blue paint, white card paper, scissors, glue, and a black marker.
1. Paint the top half of the bottles in yellow, and allow to dry.
2. Paint the bottom half of the bottles in blue, and allow to dry.
3. Using your white card paper, cut out round circles for eyes and glue these onto your bottles.
4. Use your black marker to draw a mouth, pupils within the eyes, and any strands of hair you or the kids wish to add.
5. Have all the fun in the world playing with your DIY minion crafts!
Materials Needed: The yellow toy incasing from inside a Kinder Suprise/a yellow toy plastic egg that can be opened, five 1p coins, glue, blue card paper, googly eyes, and a black marker.
1. Glue your coins on top of each other, and then glue these down to the inside bottom of the egg. Allow these to dry.
2. Use your black marker to draw a goggles strap around the top of the egg.
3. Glue on either one or two googly eyes.
4. Cut out some blue card paper, wrap this around the bottom portion of the egg and glue down.
5. Draw on any extra details, and your adorable wobbly minion is ready to play with!
Materials Needed: Yellow, blue, and grey card paper, googly eyes, a black marker, scissors, and glue.
1. Cut out a strip of yellow card with a rounded head – this will be the base of your bookmark.
2. Make two slits on the yellow card to create arms.
3. Cut out and glue on some blue overalls.
4. Cut a thin strip of grey card paper for the strap of the goggles, and glue this onto your bookmark.
5. Glue on your googly eyes.
6. Use your black marker to add finishing touches; buttons, a mouth, and hair and you’re ready to start reading!
Minion Piggy Bank
Materials Needed: An empty plastic jar, yellow and blue card paper, googly eyes, a black marker, scissors and glue.
1. Remove the lid from your jar.
2. Cut out and wrap the yellow card around the entire plastic jar, glue this down.
3. Cut out another circle of yellow card and glue this to the top of the jar, so the ‘lid’ is covered too.
4. Cut out some blue card to wrap around the bottom half of the jar – your minion’s overalls.
5. Use your black marker to draw on goggle straps around the jar, then glue down your googly eyes on top. You can also draw on a mouth and a few strands of hair.
6. Cut a slit into the yellow card on top of the jar so that you can place coins inside, and your fun little minion craft is complete.