We all know that painting is a good hobby to have, as it is not only creative but also immensely therapeutic and satisfying. People who take up painting like to do so either using water paints or using acrylic paints and not with oil paints at least in the beginning. This is because not only are oil paints more expensive but also a bit more difficult to deal with in terms of mixing and using. While water paints are relatively easy to use, they tend to be a bit cumbersome in usage as it takes a while for the painting to dry out before you can proceed with more layering or adding texture.
That is why it makes sense for people to start using acrylic paints. Not only are they not that expensive but also easy to use. What is more you will also find that not only can you dilute acrylic paints with water but also that acrylic paints dry very soon. This is a very handy trait to have when you are just starting to paint and are impatient to finish your painting. While we are on the subject of acrylic painting, it also makes sense to have some easy acrylic painting ideas to get started on. That is why; we give below some easy acrylic painting ideas to get you started.
Top Mistakes Beginners Make In Acrylic Painting
- Experiment and Progress – There is no right or wrong to painting if you love your art. But the number one mistake beginners do, lack of experiment. Make mistakes, mess things up and during that process learn more. Painting is all about experimenting and exploring.
- Choosing the Wrong Canvas – There are many types of canvas available. If your painting involves detailing, then go for very toothed canvas. If you are going for painting with heavy brush strokes, pick a rough canvas. Avoid cheap canvases. Beginners often think that they’re beginners and need not invest much on canvas and paints, but with good quality canvas & paints, you progress a lot.
- Choosing Wrong Paints – A good brand of paints is important, certain paints tend to have too much pigment, dry up when its lifted by brush, do not adhere well, do not blend smoothly and so on. Pick acrylic paints of the most recommended & trusted brand.
- Start With Few Colors – To excel color mixing, go baby steps. Start with a few paints, play with them. You don’t need to learn the entire color wheel. Stick to the basics. To truly learn color mixing, you must get your hands dirty by experimenting it. No number of tutorials, videos can teach you enough.
- Understand Complementary Colors – complementary colors are two colors when mixed together, neutralize each other. For example, green and red, yellow and purple. When your green is too bright, add red to tone it down to give it a sort of olive green shade. Practice mixing complementary colors.
- Do Not Leave Paint Brushes In Water – Leaving paint brushes in water will loosen up the glue that’s holding the bristles together. Rinse brushes well with water and lay it flat to air dry on a paper.
- Dry Brushing With Acrylic Paints – With acrylic paints, plus point is dry brushing. It is used to add shadows and highlights. Dry brushing sometimes gives a rough, bumpy surface. Do not dry brush everything. Use it very specifically for specific details. Acrylic paints dry fast, you want enough paint on brush to avoid dry brushing the entire painting.
- It Dries Too Fast – A lot of beginners starting with acrylic painting complains about acrylic painting drying up too fast. Do not end up blending too much, a couple of brush strokes is all you need. After 3-5 paintings, do not limit yourself to tutorials or videos.
Simple Acrylic Painting Ideas
Copy ideas: Yes, we are asking you to look at galleries of acrylic paintings and simply try to emulate one of them. You may also like Pottery paintings. This is not plagiarism in the strictest sense because the final painting will not be the same as the one you are copying and in fact, will be your interpretation of the other person’s work. The thing is while you are simply copying the concept that the other person has put down on canvas, it will be completely imprinted with your imagination and thought process.
Do a Landscape: A landscape is a nice idea to get started when you are using acrylic paints. This is because the first layer of paint that you will apply to create a background will dry quickly and let you proceed with the next application of paints. But you do need to make sure that the landscape you chose to paint is not too complicated. Start with a simple vista so that the end result is good and you are encouraged to go on painting with acrylic paints.
Start with Abstracts: There are many arguments about whether abstracts are more difficult to do than other ways of painting or not. However, since we are talking about a beginner and that too using acrylic paints which dry very fast, it is a good idea to start making candles also. but you can also start painting simple abstracts. If you closely look at abstracts, you will come to realize that all abstracts are not the same; there are a few that do not point at any object or being but just a nice mix of colors in an interesting manner.